Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A reason not to join Fitness Clubs

Today I walked into a recently opened franchise of a national fitness club chain. I had heard good things from my friends and co-workers. I have not belonged to a gym ever but thought it was time for a change from the solitary nature of at-home workouts. I drove up and there was plenty of parking just after Noon. That's good as I would use it during lunch sometimes. The smiling young receptionist welcomed me and asked approrpriately what I was interested in. I told her I was considering a membership but wanted to have a workout later in the week to determine if I was interested. She said ok asked for my name and home phone number (area code first as if I drove in from some other state to work out and decide on membership) and that she would get someone to show me around right away and then I could go in one of the cubicles so they could get the paperwork together. Paperwork? Hmm. Not good. I was not joining just looking!

Anyway she also asked that I take a seat. Somehow taking a seat and right away don't mean the same thing to me. As I stood there for a moment three other people walked in and were ultimately herded over to where I was standing. The center was huge - complete with umpteen bikes, treadmills, ellipticals, televisions, a basketball court and I had heard (but could not see or hear) a swimming pool. I was thinking that this could work out. But five minutes went by, then ten and I saw several people sitting down in a 'cubicle' getting what I thought might be training. Finally I gave up and walked up to the desk and said that I guessed they were busy and I would come back another time. The receptionist noted that 'they' were in a meeting but would be done soon. ARRRGH!

I left with a not-so-good feeling. It is convenient and from what I heard (although I received NO promotional material) reasonably priced. But now I have to get up the gumption to go back to do what I wanted to do today some other time. I know it could be just that the receptionist was inexperienced but there is simply NO excuse. From a customer communications standpoint surely it would be easy to have someone who is interested in knowing more or even joining sign in, take a walk around within 5 minutes of arriving and then arrange a trial workout if that is what was desired. But no.

And now they have my phone number. I wonder what they will say if they actually call to follow up? I wonder what I will say if they do? I can think of a few things actually.

No comments: