Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Amazon's Kindle - Am I Blogging or Ranting?

I have only been blogging for a couple of weeks but in looking over some of the posts it seems to me that I am ranting as much as blogging. So is there a difference between a blog and a rant? I think there is and I will go out on a limb and note that readers of a blog might enjoy a good rant now and again but would follow a blog only if it offers more than that.

Blogs should offer something thought provoking - at least more often than not. I was thinking about this morning when I received an Amazon email regarding my Kindle. I love my Kindle and think as an e-reader it is a terrific first generation tool. I get offered new arrivals on the Kindle from Amazon every couple of weeks (not too often) since there is a good deal of content that has not been digitized (and there will be a good deal of content that never will be digitized).

The next generation Kindle is due to come out at Christmas and it supposedly may offer color screen, a better interface and improved usability. The point is that Amazon has got its I-Pod with the Kindle and they do a continue to do a good job of contacting me just enough to keep me interested without ticking me off. It would be a good idea if they practiced Customer Controlled Communications (TM) by asking me how often I would like to receive offers but as long as they do not cross the line of too frequent communication I am ok. And the Kindle is a must-have device for the eco-consicious person as well as the avid reader.

So the question is - blog or rant? Or both?

No comments: