Friday, August 22, 2008

Shopping with my 15 year old daughter

I went to the mall the other night with my soon to be high school sophomore daughter. She needed a few things for school and it was a great opportunity to spend time with her. I had a really good time. We went to a half dozen stores (or more as they all kind of blend together after awhile). What I did notice is that every retailer (only one of which she had a gift card for) did NOT ask if she (or I) would like any contact from the store on promotions, sales or specials. I know my daughter would have taken them up on their offer as long as the store made it clear that she would A) get money off B) have first crack at the latest and greatest. If they were to offer to text to her cellphone she might have even said ok to that (email is not the preferred channel for reaching high schoolers as far as I can see). So in each case it was a missed opportunity. I don't understand it at all. It is really ok to ask and that is the crux of Customer Controlled Communications. This is not that hard folks.

No comments: